...

...

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Santa Fe

I've fallen in love with Los Alamos thanks to staying with my very dear New Mexico family, Jose and Phiyen. Los Alamos is a beautiful part of the state, about 45 minutes north of Santa Fe, 7,320 feet in elevation. Everywhere you go, which is mostly down a large canyon, you see gorgeous red and orange cliffs and on a clear day you can see for miles. Yesterday morning I drove down to Santa Fe to explore and loved seeing the "Pueblo Revival" architecture which is influenced by the Pueblos. I visited the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum which is quite tiny and slightly disappointing. Many of her most popular and cherished works are on loan to museums all over the country, but I was glad to still stop in and enjoy some of her work from the Southwest.






I also really enjoyed walking around the "Old Town" part of the city and tried to take in as much art as possible. Santa Fe is an artists dream and there are around 5,000-6,000 artists who live in the city.  I peaked inside the historic and beautiful St Francis Cathedral Basilica and the Loretto Chapel which has an incredible staircase. I was very taken by all the Native American history, culture and art. Santa Fe is beautiful and I can't wait to visit again!




















1 comment:

  1. Want to know something funny? I studied that famous spiral staircase in school. Jealous you are seeing all of these amazing things and glad everything is turning out so well... praying for blue skies ahead as your journey continues!

    ReplyDelete