...

...

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Moab, Utah

Moab or more accurately, our time on a Mars like planet. As my dad and I were driving through Moab, Utah over these past few days we were struck by the beautiful red rocky landscape. Other than my time in Iceland, I feel that this is the closest to Mars I will ever get. Moab is unlike any place I've ever been and I've loved my time here. I think Edward Abbey said it best when he was recounting his time spent here in Desert Solitaire, "But the desert is a vast world, an oceanic world, as deep in its way and complex and various as the sea."

We first went to Arches National Park which is probably one of the coolest National Park's I've been to yet. Driving around was nothing short of incredible and seeing these arches that are bit of magic, nature style, was a special experience that I'll never forget.  As my dad and I were hiking up to see Delicate Arch which is the most popular spot in the park, we came face to face with a thunderstorm on all sides. Now we were on a rock face, at one of the highest points, where there wasn't much protection and we were too far from my car to make it back in time. Luckily my dad found an overhang for us to find shelter in and we saw the greatest thunderstorm lightening show. From the girl who at a young age, wanted to become a meteorologist, this was pretty cool. Once the storm passed we made our way to Delicate Arch and it was worth all the thunder and lightening. I can see why this part of the country is a photographer's dream, with all the staggering beauty, varying colors and light differences, I would be happy taking pictures here for a lifetime.



















2 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous pictures, Lucy!! The colors remind me of Domboshawa, remember?? Whenever I am in a thunderstorm I think about all of the kids huddled up to their parents while they experience the loud sounds and flashes- kind of a sweet thought to think of you there, huddled up with your dad, just taking it all in...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cheri! And I totally agree, I was actually thinking of that while I was walking around, how it reminded me a lot of Domboshawa!

    ReplyDelete