...

...

Monday, July 6, 2015

Three more days

Three more days. I have three more days until I leave my home for the past five weeks on the Big Island for O'ahu and bid farewell to my time on the farm. This past week has been one of some firsts and embracing as much of the Big Island as I can muster. But first, a look at the day in the life of a wwoofer. I work Monday through Friday generally from 8:30-1:30, doing everything from planting various vegetables/microgreens in the greenhouse, weeding, fertilizing, composting, putting in a greenhouse irrigation system, tearing down unwanted invasive species in the jungle, farming maintenance, building a foundation for a cabin addition, planting avocado trees, working at the Food Share (like a farmer's market of sorts), and learning a great deal about organic farming/gardening and helping Drean build his future community garden. I've really enjoyed my time here and it's been therapeutic getting my hands in the earth, helping plants grow and seeing the progress.  It usually rains here at least once a day but the past week has been fairly dry and hotter than normal. The trade winds off the ocean can bring immense joy and relief on those sun pounding days and you are reminded of the very little things that make all the difference, especially when you are sweating all over your body.

Last weekend I rented a car and drove to the Kona side of the island to spend some time at Pu'uhonua O Honaunau National Park, which translates to "Place of Refuge".  Back hundreds of years ago when the first Hawiian's came to the island if they had broken a law they were often punished by death. If these Hawaiians were able to make it to this special place they believed that their gods wanted them to live and they were forgiven for their sins.  Walking around I could feel the peaceful and forgiving energy and it was a special place to visit. I also loved seeing these beautiful wooden carved statues or ""ki'i" which are considered to have a lot of mana or power around this area. When I was there they were celebrating the Hawaiian Culture Festival which had many traditional Hawaiian games, crafts, food, and a Hula performance! I made a flower crown lei and a bracelet which came out pretty good if I do say so myself, with the help of some native Hawaiian wahines. One major first that happened over the weekend was being in an earthquake. I shot out of bed around 10:45 pm thinking, what the fuck is happening? It took my brain a few moments to realize that the reason why my bed, dresser and table were shaking fairly violently was due to an earthquake. It only lasted around 30 seconds but was an incredible force to be woken by. I then quickly googled "earthquake Big Island?" and it came up as a 4.8 which was then upgraded the next morning to a 5.2. Once I knew nobody got hurt and there was no damage I then felt better thinking that it was a pretty awesome moment to experience.

The next day as I was driving back I stopped at Nechung Dorje Drayang Ling which is a Buddhist Temple and one that the Dalai Lama visited back in 1994. The Buddhist Temple is in Wood Valley, which is a small village off the main highway. On the way I passed by Ka'u Coffee Plantations (which is by far the best coffee I've ever had, sorry Kona Coffee, try some if you can!). Past coffee heaven I reached the Nechung Temple which is tucked away on a slight hill and exudes such peacefulness and grace. I loved spending time in the meditation temple and walking around and admiring all the buddhas and buddhist prayer flags that were moving with the gentlest of breezes. I'd love to come back here and stay overnight especially to enjoy the daily prayer and meditation with the Venerable Lobzang Toldan "Tiapala" who lives here full time.


Another first I had last weekend was..... hitch hiking. Now before you get all worried and concerned and "that isn't safe!" thinking, know that I was thinking this too for weeks and I obviously survived and lived to tell the tale. Hitch hiking is something I didn't think I would ever do because it probably isn't the best way to get around but in Hawaii it's legal and is quite safe, especially on the Big Island. I feel being a social worker I can read people pretty well and if I didn't feel right about someone who pulled over I wasn't going to get in their car. I had dropped my car off at the airport and had a 20 mile trek back to the farm and figured why not? Let me give it a go! Though I was a bit nervous to try the whole sticking out my thumb on the side of the road thing, it was actually kind of fun and thrilling and I got to meet new and kind people I wouldn't have otherwise. Now I probably won't do it again before I leave Hawaii but I am glad I did it... and that it went as well as it did. I think it was in my favor that I was a young woman and I was alone, I didn't have to wait that long in between for someone to pull over. Maybe I'm a pro now, who knows?! Here are my photos from last week!











































1 comment:

  1. I commented on this post four times and google erased it every time. I am back trying it again, mostly to give google the stink-eye. But also to say that I have LOVED seeing your travels! So happy you've had such magic and awe wherever you've gone. It's like that quote you recently introduced me to that I love so much: Wake in a we and your whole life will unlock. Wander with wonder and the whole world becomes home." So happy to see you are always at home! xoxxo

    ReplyDelete