...

...

Thursday, July 30, 2015

California!

California, you beautiful and long ass state you. I was sad to leave Hawaii but ready to journey on to my second leg of my road trip. I had an uneventful flight back to the main land, though I did get to see quite a bit of lightening from LA to San Diego. This was my first time seeing lightening in the air and it was stunning and also a little terrifying but I clearly survived so everything is fine. When I got back to San Diego and retrieved my car (thanks again Sarah and Jarod for being such good car guardians while I was gone, you're life savers!)  it started to downpour. While I was very grateful for all the rain, that lasted all day, because California needs all the water it can get, driving in it was not all that fun. While driving up to Los Angeles I got to experience the joys (or not so much) of the awful traffic that swallows Southern California whole and having it torrential downpour did not help one bit. I don't know how people drive there day in and day out, I was about to lose it after being in the car for 3+ hours. All traffic aside, it was so nice getting to visit with my good friend Sneha before I made my second trip to LAX that day.

Two of my very dear friends from college, Abby and Rachel flew out to LA to join me on the California leg of my road trip. How awesome are they? I was incredibly touched that they wanted to be a part of my travels and I couldn't ask for two better friends to be stuck with me, in my little car, hearing me belt out Adele and Michael Jackson (the list goes on) for ten days. We started in Venice Beach where we stayed at a little house within walking distance to the Venice Canals which is one of my favorite spots in the area. I stumbled upon the Venice Canals when I was out a few summers back and loved the beauty and quietness which is sometimes hard to find. I was able to play a bit of a tour guide throughout our quick visit, eating at some of my favorite spots and doing some touristy but fun things. I also got to venture to the Hollywood Forever Cemetary which was top on my list to see in person.

After Venice Beach, we road tripped to Big Sur which is in northern California about 2.5 hours south of San Fransisco. It was very humid in LA during our stay which is very rare, but once we got up to Big Sur it was cool and dry, my favorite kind of weather. I was most excited to say in the yurt I booked from airbandb and boy, it didn't disappoint. The yurt was amazing and a place I could have happily stayed for a long visit. Big Sur was breathtaking, we drove along and hugged the coast and got to see huge cliffs that tumbled down to the ocean below. We went on some hikes and just explored our way up and down Big Sur, definitely on my "most beautiful drives in the US" list. I can't wait to get back! We then drove up to San Fransisco and were welcomed by the Golden Gate Bridge and walked half way across which was much needed. It was fun being reacquainted with San Fran, a friend I hadn't seen in many years. My friends and I walked up one of the steepest hills in the city, walked down the curvy Lombard Street, enjoyed seeing the sea lions sun bathe, and a highlight was getting to visit Mission Hill's graffiti art murals. After bidding farewell we made a short visit to Napa Valley where I realized that I'm not a big fan of wine (sorry to disappoint!) but the scenery was straight out of Tuscany. Our final stop in California was to Redwood National Park. I was so happy to be among these beautiful Redwoods, to be walking among giants, it was exactly what my mind and soul were looking for. There is an immense sense of peacefulness being among these trees, many of which have been around for hundreds and hundreds of years. My trip with Rachel and Abby came to an end too soon but I am so grateful to have experienced California with them. I am one lucky girl! And In and Out, I'm gong to miss you too.






                                 






Big Sur Yurt! 
Big Sur 







                                   


Purple sand!
 

















Redwood National Park 












4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang, Lucy! You are capturing these places so well and gorgeously that it makes me wish you had had this blog back when we did Zimbabwe together. I assign you to make five blog posts of previous travels. Due next Friday. Go!

    (Just kidding... looks like you may have a few better things to do...) xoxox!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry-erased one above because they were duplicates. Who knew it would still show?! I am mouse-happy. Smooth, Cheri. Very smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have loved reading all your comments Cheri, THANK YOU for being so sweet and for being your awesome commenting self. I miss you! And I will get started on my much late Zim blog...

    ReplyDelete